11/01/2021

The Great Sonic The Hedgehog 2021 Challenge

A new year, a new post to the blog? Eh, why not. Let's actually try and keep this going for once haha!

I'll cut to the chase - I'm parking Matilda for the rest of the year. In fact, I don't think she's even been fired up once this year so unless I host another 24 hour livestream, there will be zero miles acquired throughout the whole of 2021.

What I am doing though is probably given away by the title - it's a challenge of epic proportions. I'm going to attempt to complete, on my Twitch channel, 65 Sonic games in 50 weeks. That's right, 65 freaking Sonic The Hedgehog games in slightly less than a year. As I stream 3 hours a time and 3 times a week, that's 450 hours in which to complete all these games. Which really isn't a lot.
And not just any kind of completion! I'm going to try and get the True ending in every single title. Not 100%, I'd like to get that one out there straight away otherwise we'll miss this by a loooong shot!


Hopefully you can click that image above and make it bigger, but that's a list of 63 titles from the Sonic catalogue. The final two are rumoured releases for the 30th anniversary of the blue blue, one 2D and one 3D. I was originally aiming to get this done for 23rd June but I'll be lucky to get this done by the end of the year if I stream every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday - which is what I'm going to have to do to even have a hope of doing this.
Some titles, such as the classics, I can speedrun with my eyes closed. Others - such as Sonic Chronicles - I'll struggle with as they'll be very time consuming. And others still - looking at you, '06 and Heroes - I've never completed and expect to swear at lots.

"So," I hear you cry, "if you're not playing ETS2 at all then are you giving up on the charity angle of your channel for the year?" Nope. My friend Sceptical Squirrel(otherwise known as Squizzy) does a lot of physical activities for charity and this year is no exception. He's going pescatarian for the year, running a half marathon, a 1364 mile cycling challenge and more! All this is in the name of MND Association, a cause which is quite personal and close to Squizzy's heart for reasons I'll let the big guy explain for himself on his fundraising page. Where possible I want to support my friends, and Squirrel in particular is one friend who's been amazingly supportive to me over the years and gotten very little in return other than an earful of abuse, so here's where the Sonic challenge comes in.

 For every game I complete with a true ending, I will donate £1 to Squirrel's link above. My other half, Mirtai, has decided she's going to match that - so in actual fact for every game I complete, we're donating £2.
If I complete the full set of 65 games, then I'll bump it up to £100 - and Mirtai will match it to make a sweet £200 for MND Association! 

Squirrel's challenge is a year long one, and so is mine. I reckon if we can get the four-eyed moron up to, say, £3,000 by the end of the year I'll finally get that haircut y'all have been begging me to get for a while now. Give generously, and even if the target falls short you are donating towards a most excellent cause.

A reminder that I stream every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday at 7pm UK time on my Twitch channel and you're all very much invited as I try my damnest to achieve something I've been wanting to do as a Sonic fan since I first started my YouTube channel all those years ago. Thanks for reading, dream big and see y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment